Tech Trek – 2017 February
Runtime error occurs when initiating workflows, i.e. user reports that nothing happens, or failure occurs when attempting to transfer files (via OfficialFile.asmx Web service). Re-executing the workflow would result into the expected behavior.
This typically happens after a SharePoint upgrade or patch has been applied. As this affects only a certain component, this behavior may not be apparent after the update has been applied.
- Open SharePoint LOGS folder and check the affected log file at the time the event occurred to see if the following Unexpected error is present:
<CompilerError Line=”0″ Column=”0″
PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c is not marked as authorized in the application configuration file.” />
- Compare entry differences of the most recent web_<date/time>.BAK using a text comparison tool like WinMerge or WinDiff.
- Open web.config in the Web Front-end server at the following location and add/correct the affected component.
<authorizedType Assembly=”Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=22.214.171.124, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c” Namespace=”Microsoft.SharePoint.Workflow” TypeName=”SPWorkflowTaskProperties” Authorized=”True” />
- Perform an iisreset.
I’ve highlighted Version=126.96.36.199 since usually this entry reverts back to 188.8.131.52 in the SharePoint web.config file which causes the unauthorized issue.
Tech Trek – 2016 January
Users reporting that files are missing in their respective child folders, and eventually being moved into the root folder of the document library.
- Identify if the affected SP 2013 site/library is being accessed via SharePoint Workspace (formerly Groove) client and your content is not over these file restrictions.
- Make sure that the following patch is applied for Workspace 2010 client
SharePoint Workspace 2010 hotfix – February, 2012
- To temporarily address the automatic transfer into the root folder –
Set Offline Client Availability to No under Advanced Settings for the affected Document Library.
Tech Trek – 2016.03.14
One or more MS Excel COM Add-Ins are not loaded correctly even after enabling items in Excel Options dialog.
- Check whether the add-in is listed under Disabled Items in File … Excel Options.
- Otherwise, open registry editor and find the affected Add-Ins in the following registry key path. Change the LoadBehavior value data into 3 (Load at Startup).
Make registry updates with care since changes can render your system into an unusable state. Make sure you have a system restore point, or necessary backup before doing changes.
Tech Trek – 2015.09.28
One of the nice features of SharePoint 2013 is the ability to perform drag & drop file uploads. This is a quicker option from Upload Multiple Documents (known as Upload files using Windows Explorer instead — now that’s a mouthful).
Drag & drop function is not working for certain users in any SharePoint 2013 site even though this operation works for others. Files will not being displayed, or uploaded after file drop operation was successfully completed.
Here are the steps to perform to resolve this issue:
- Make sure prerequisites are installed in the affected PC – see list below.
- Check if SharePoint-related extensions are enabled under Manage add-ons in Internet Explorer.
- Use an alternate web browser to check if file uploads can be successful.
- If everything else is fails, check if the machine was previously upgraded from Office 2010 under Programs and Features of Control Panel. Perform an MS Office Repair if multiple versions exist.
SOFTWARE PREREQUISITES –
- Internet Explorer 10 or higher
- Internet Explorer 8 or 9 with MS Office 2013 installed
- Latest version of Firefox or Google Chrome web browser that supports HTML 5 standards
Tech Trek – 2014.07.02
SharePoint defaults into “No” (false) value when Checkbox column is not selected. A user requested that it will be easier to isolate “Yes” (true) value when having a Checkbox column. This got me into my thinking cap, so why not?
You can create a Choice column instead with only one item e.g. Yes, in order, to display empty values when users doesn’t select a value. Make this an optional column and leave the default value as blank. You can choose whether to use a drop down style, or checkbox to display the control.
Nice and easy …